It has been over two years since my last post. My wife and I have moved across the country and have a two-year old daughter. Our relationship is stronger, I have a far greater sense of self and confidence in my abilities, and I have been able to accomplish many more of my goals than I would have thought possible in so short a time.
I will be reviewing the goals that I wrote about in the spring of 2014 and how I have done in achieving those goals below.
- Be able to read a Chinese newspaper (3)
- I have not made much progress towards this goal. I still have a great love for the language and culture, but I have simply not spend the requisite time to achieve this goal.
- Ace the military personal fitness test (1)
- I am not quite to this level yet. I now have time to practice yoga several times each week.
- Play in the disc golf amateur world championships (3)
- While I have played disc golf in the intervening time since my last post, I have not played often. I still love it – I don’t think there is anything else that brings that specific type of enjoyment – but my time has largely been taken up with more important things.
- Live a healthy life style (1)
- My wonderful wife has been a great help in this regard. While we do not have a specific diet that we follow, we try our best to follow our church’s directives on health. You can read more about that here. I have definitely found more mental clarity and energy trying to do better in this area.
- Become an avid reader (1)
- While I haven’t read everyday, I have been reading much more and also listening to books through Audible. It has been a great investment for me. My Goodreads list is here.
- Be honest in all my dealings (1)
- This is definitely the most important goal that was in this list. I have been able to be honest at all times during the last two years.
- Live with no Niagara Syndrome (5)
- So far so good. The biggest thing that I have been able to do to combat Niagara Syndrome has been to make sure that I always have goals (such as these) that I am working towards. My wife and I also try to have brainstorming sessions every few months about how we think the next 10 years will go. It is a great opportunity to get excited about what is in front of us, and make any changes to our plan that we may feel are appropriate.
- Have friends from varied backgrounds (2)
- The majority of the people I associate with are from my church community. This does limit their diversity in some aspects (ie same moral standards, similar views on social issues) but I have still been blessed to associate with many people of different backgrounds and occupations. From electrician to lawyer, accountant to teacher, my circle of friends is full of wonderful peers and mentors.
- Be able to travel for vacation two or three times in a given year (2)
- I have been very blessed to find a job that is a great fit for me. This week I just passed 2 years of employment with a wonderful small business. This gives me more freedom to work from home when necessary and to take more vacations than I would otherwise be able to.
- Own our dream home (15)
- We are still renting and currently looking to complete some other large financial goals prior to purchasing a house, but this is still on our goals list.
- Have no stress about work when I am home (1)
- My thoughts on this goal have evolved somewhat from 2 years ago. Because of my position at work I do need to be on the phone or working after I get home pretty frequently, but I enjoy my job. I think another part of the intent behind the goal was to allow myself to be present with my family whenever I am home and I feel like I am doing a pretty good job of that,
- Be debt free (10)
- We have been very blessed and were able to pay off all of our debts in the spring of 2015.
- Learn about investing money (1)
- I have been doing a lot of research and study and I am currently planning to open a currency trading account in 2017.
- Be able to pay fifty percent of our children’s college expenses (20)
- We are still working towards this goal. We are about 75% of the way to having 6 months of living expenses in savings. After we reach that goal we will start to save money for other goals such as this.
- Use my language skills at work (3)
- I have note developed any additional language skills
- Play disc golf in Europe ( 10)
- Own a Land Rover (15)
- Own a home with on at least ten acres (25)
- Own a private disc golf course à la Flip City (30)
- Finish in the top three at an A tier disc golf tournament (2 – are you sensing a theme?)
- Ride my bike to a disc golf tournament at least eighty miles away (5)
- Finish in the top three at any disc golf tournament (1)
I have really not made any progress on these goals, but i don’t know that I really feel that they are important anymore. This was the hardest category for me to populate with goals last time. I will be performing this exercise again and am going to probably replace all of these goals with new ones.
- Help my children learn to love music (20)
- My daughter loves to dance to the music her little baby walker plays, and she likes to sing and listen to songs. That is a great start in my opinion.
- Adopt a child from China (25)
- We have not yet been in a place financially where this was much of an option.
- Increase faith in the institution of marriage (3)
- I feel like I am doing a good job with this in general. We often have young missionaries from our church over for dinner, and I always try to talk with them – at least a little bit – about how wonderful we find marriage to be.
- Live as energy-efficient a life as I can (1)
- Not much progress here.
- Volunteer in the community (1)
- I have not been engaged in much volunteer work outside of my church responsibilities. These have been great opportunities – averaging about 10 hours a week outside of Sunday meetings – but I would still like to be more involved in the community directly.
It has been really neat to look back over these goals and see the progress that I have made as well as to see how I have changed in the last few years. Expect to see an updated list of goals in the next week or so.